About

History Of Linton

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linton like this:

 

 

" LINTON, a township in Church-Gresley parish, Derby; 4½ miles SSE of Burton-upon-Trent. Acres, 860. Real property, £2,302. Pop. in 1851,279; in 1861, 365. Houses, 79. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists."

 

Ref:-GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linton in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

 

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2369

 

Date accessed: 23rd June 2013

 

 

From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland

pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.247

Kelly's Directory, 1891

LINTON is a township, 1 mile south-west from Gresley station on the Leicester and Burton branch of the Midland railway, 130 miles from London, 5 south-east from Burton- on-Trent, 6 west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, in the parish of Church Gresley, southern division of the county, Repton and Gresley hundred, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Burton-on-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Christ Church, a chapel of ease to Church Gresley, was erected and opened in 1881, at a cost of £3,500, and is a structure of brick, in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave and a western turret containing one bell: an organ was introduced in 1886, at a cost of £500, principally through the liberality of Messrs. Beard Brothers : there are 450 sittings; the Rev. William Watson M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, has been curate in charge since 1889. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. The principal landowners are Mrs. Clay, John Beard, Morris Richardson, of King's Standing, Burton-on-Trent, John Yeomans and William Orpe Burton esqrs. The soil is a rich loam ; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are barley, wheat and turnips. The area is 860 acres; rateable value, £4,228 ; the population in POST & M. O.O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.-Mrs. Elizabeth Patrick, receiver. Letters arrive from Burton-upon-Trent at 5.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7.10 p.m. The nearest telegraph ofice is at Gresley railway station

 

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1882, for the united district of Linton & Castle Gresley ; J. Marsh, Cauldwell, clerk to the board & attendance officer

 

Board School (mixed & infants), erected in 1884, for 250 boys & girls & 150 infants ; average attendance, 220 boys & girls & 120 infants; Tom Alton, master; Miss Mary Boulter, infants' mistress

 

Bates Robert

Beard John, Manor house

Watson Rev. Wm. M.A.[curate in charge]

 

COMMERCIAL.

Allsop Isaac, butcher

Archer John (Mrs.), farmer

Burton Wm. Orpe, farmer & landowner

Campion James, shoe maker

Chadwick Ralph, blacksmith & beer ret

Clamp George, shopkeeper

Clamp Thomas, baker

Coton Park & Linton Colliery (Henry Green, proprietor; Thomas Allen Wilson, certificated manager)

Davies Charles, bricklayer

Dennis William, shopkeeper

Evans William, Red Lion P.H

Grice William, Carpenters' Arms P.H. & blacksmith

Gotheridge George, grocer & farmer

Patrick Elizh. (Mrs.), shpkpr. Post office

Simpkin Henry, bricklayer, shopkeeper & beer retailer

Simpkin Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Summerfield James, farmer

Tilley Joseph, beer retailer & butcher

Walthew Wm. grocer & beer retailer

Wood Walter, Holly Bush P.H. & coop

Ref:-http://www.andrewsgen.com/dby/kelly/linton.htm

 

Linton, a township in Church Gresley parish, Derbyshire, 1 mile from Gresley station on the M.R., and 4 1/2 miles SSE of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Burton-upon-Trent. Acreage, 367; population, 1126. A chapel of ease was erected in 1881 and is a brick building in the Early English style. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

 

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Copyright © All Rights Reserved

 

If you wish to add anything to this website please contact jag@lintonvillage.info